Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Tiny Humans

As the countdown continues I am feeling several different things. The first is excitement to see my family, the second is anxiety about all that needs to be finished before vacation, and the third is sadness to leave the teens and friends I have made in Rock Springs. Thankfully I am only leaving them for three weeks and in order to leave them for three weeks I will get to do three things; I will get to see two tiny humans that have captured my heart (along with the rest of my family and friends in New Mexico), I will get to see my best friend marry her prince, and I will get to join a group of pilgrims from the Diocese of Cheyenne in Italy for the rest of the pilgrimage.

I want to focus this blog on those two tiny humans. In February I was blessed to become an auntie for the first time. See I have plenty of younger cousins that I am close with, but for the first time in my life I would hold a baby boy in my arms that would someday call me auntie, would come to visit me in the summers when he grew older, a baby boy that would grow to know that I am always his support and often times will let him get away with a little more than mom and dad. As I held this tiny human for the first time during Easter break I was baffled by the amount of love that was pouring out of my heart. I couldn't get enough of him! I wanted to spend every minute of every day of that vacation with him, and the day I went to the airport and I had to say goodbye my heart ached because I wasn't sure when I would return. I held him in my arms that morning and would have given anything to stop time in that moment. 

In May I was asked by a dear friend of mine to be the auntie to her son. She explained that this baby would need a person like me in his life, someone to support and love him and who would lead him in the faith. I accepted that title with great honor. This little boy is one of the cutest kids I've ever seen (and I'm not just saying that). He has a smile that can light up the darkness, he is already quite the ladies man, and he just fills my heart with joy. That same day that I went to the airport he and his mommy were the ones to drop me off. One of my favorite memories of him is that on the entire ride to the airport he sat in his seat and held my hand. He would turn around to look at me and just giggle with such happiness on his face. 

I honestly don't know how I can love anyone or anything in this wold more than I love my hijitos, and yet I remember that their parents love them even more than that! In the last few months as I have reflected on how these two baby boys have captured my heart and I am constantly brought back to the cross. The fact that one man loved you and me so unconditionally that he would give his very life so that we may live. Much like a parent or an auntie, he was willing to give his life so that we may know truth and unconditional joy. So as my countdown reaches the end I will remember that the love that I have for those sweet boys is only a fraction of the love that our Lord has for each of us.

3 Days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment