In the last few days I have seen a video floating around Facebook. It is called Who You Are: A Message To All Women. If you haven't seen it yet please take 3 minutes and 36 seconds to click and watch. I have become slightly addicted to this video. Anytime I see it come up on my newsfeed I watch it again. Like something has changed since I watched it 4 hours ago. Each time it is the same video and each time I can't help but hear the truth in that mans voice.
Friends, we as women are powerful, we are strong, and we are LOVED! We were created for greatness and I know so many times we forget that. A few months ago I was visiting a retreat center in Georgia and was assigned to help with a Juniors and Seniors Retreat. Over the course of the weekend I spent time getting to know different groups of people, but spent a lot of time getting to know some of the girls in the group. Towards the end of the weekend I had this Junior come up to me and tell me about how worthless she felt because she was nothing like the other girls. She explained to me that she didn't think she could ever be beautiful, but she noticed that I was like her. I had piercings and tattoos, that week my fingernails happened to be painted black (the funny thing is they were teal the week before, but having them black this week was important for this encounter), and I was wearing a black sweatshirt that day. Because of the way I looked she identified with me, but at the same time she saw me talking with ALL of the girls who were there. The popular girls, the athletes, the smart girls, and those who felt like they didn't belong. When this girl talked with me I felt so deeply saddened that she could not see how beautiful she was and she could not see her worth. I was also very surprised that someone was watching me so closely, she could tell me who I had been talking to throughout that entire day. I talked with her about how beautiful and special she was. That she was created by the Father and she was created for greatness. I explained that it didn't really matter how she dressed or what she looked like, God created her to lead people to his kingdom. I asked her why she chose to talk with me instead of one of the other Missionaries that were there. She very simply said "because you dress just like me, but you are beautiful" I walked away from that encounter a bit surprised, see I could see the beauty in this young girl but in that moment I was surprised to hear her say I was beautiful.
So many times we base our worth on what society has mapped out for us. We base our worth on how many people we're friends with, how may guys are interested in us, how well we do at our job or in school, and how loved we feel by the people in our lives. Let me tell you sisters, we are worth dying for because we were created by the Father. We were created for love and we are WORTHY!!
No comments:
Post a Comment