I spent the last few days gathered in Casper, Wy with the priests and a lot of people who work at the churches in Wyoming. My heart overflowed with love as I saw many friends and great priests that I have had the privilege to get to know in my 5 years in this Diocese. As the conference continued I sat and reflected on my first encounter of the church of Wyoming.
I was a freshmen in college; afraid and alone. I didn't know anyone who would be going to mass, I missed home, and I missed my friends and family. I really didn't want to go to mass, but I did anyway. I walked from my dorm to St Paul's Newman Center. I remember walking in the door and seeing a man standing outside the worship space, he reached out his hand to shake mine and asked what my name was. I walked in and sat down at the end of the third pew in the middle section of seats (to this day this is my favorite place to sit at this church). It was far enough from the front to feel comfortable and close enough to the front to keep my attention. I remember kneeling before mass and trying to think of a time that I had encountered a priest who stood at the door and asked my name. I couldn't think of even one time. As mass ended I left the church, this priest stood outside the doors once again. He said goodby and invited me to return the following week. This whole experience to me was a little bizarre, but something I forgot about shortly after leaving the church. Well, until I returned the following week. I opened the doors and locked eyes with Fr Carl, he grinned and said "Amanda, welcome back! I hope your week was well." It was such a short encounter, but it blew my mind. As I sat in "my pew" again I couldn't help but smile as my eyes filled with tears. I couldn't believe that this man would remember my name. I had never in my life had an encounter with a priest like that before. At that time there was one priest in my home diocese who knew my name. We had gotten to know each other over the last few years, but I had never encountered something like this. Week after week as I entered the Newman Center Fr Carl and Fr Ray would greet me by name and seem genuinely concerned about how my week was.
I felt so loved by those two priests, I felt like I belonged at St Paul's Newman Center, I felt at home in this church. After my second year we received a new priest at that parish. I remember thinking that this new priest wouldn't care who I was or how my week was (because I had never encountered priests who did until this time). I was so sad to see Fr Ray moved to a new church and probably a little short with Fr Bill when he first arrived, but he quickly showed me that he also genuinely cared about me. I was blown away, surely not all of the priests I would encounter could possibly care about me and call me by name. Within the next year I would meet Fr Rob who has become a trusted friend, mentor, and spiritual director. As the years continued I would meet countless priests who would prove me wrong.
This last week I saw priests I had worked with at Holy Spirit, on retreats, and through Totus Tuus. Each of them seemed genuinely excited to see me and hear about Rock Springs. In these last few days I have been reflecting on the great priests we have in this diocese who show me how to love like Christ. I have thought of Fr Carl and how he had no idea that his authenticity would change the way I saw a priest and would change my college experience. I have considered how my encounter with the church of Wyoming made it so easy for me to stay here to work after graduation and made it so hard to think about leaving when I was discerning missions. This diocese has truly captured my heart and I do believe that in my eyes no other place will compare. I truly hope that as you read this post you can think of at least one person in your life who has shown you this type of love and as your years go by that you have many more that do. Tonight I pray that all of the people of this world will treat each other with the love and respect that Fr Carl showed me five years ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment